- Geist Orchard Cooperative Preschool admits children aged 2-5 years, regardless of race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin.
- Children must meet the stated age requirements by September 1st of the current school year.
- Being potty-trained is NOT a requirement.
- Parents are also asked to consider their child’s personality and developmental stage when considering appropriate age to begin a preschool program.
- Enrollment for current members and alumni begins annually December 1st and the 1st Monday in January.
- Open enrollment applications accepted in order of paperwork and payment received beginning 1st Monday in February.
School is in session September through May. 1 Enrollment continues throughout the year until classes are filled.
Maximum class sizes are:
- Seedlings – 8 children
- Sprouts – 15 Children
- Twigs- 16 Children
1. Holiday and Springs Break schedule roughly follow Lawrence/HSE School Calendar.
As a co-op parent, your main responsibility will be classroom participation. Most parents will be scheduled approximately twice a month. Parents will have input about dates they would like to be scheduled. Parent participation is one of the great benefits of belonging to a co-op as it allows parents to participate first-hand in the preschool education of their children.
As a member of a co-op preschool, you will be assigned a job necessary to the operation of the school. You will be given the opportunity to express your preference from the list of available jobs. Assignments are based on your interest, skills, and time availability. Examples of jobs include play dough maker, librarian, newsletter editor, class representative, fundraiser chairperson, treasurer, and president.
Click here for Family Job Descriptions.
Each child must have a physical exam form completed by a physician prior to the first day of school. In addition, participating parents must provide a proof of a negative TB test each year. The school will provide information about how to obtain a TB skin test.
New Family Orientation
New participating parents attend an orientation workshop sponsored by the Indianapolis Council of Preschool Cooperatives. it is designed to teach new members about the co-op philosophy and prepare them for their role as teacher’s assistant in the classroom.
Each family of GOCP participates in our semi-annual fall fundraiser – GEIST KIDS SALE. Money generated from this function provides the school with funds to support the entire budget for the school year.